Sunday, August 17, 2008

Saturday Nite Luau






Can you say "Alooooooooooohaaaaaaaa!"

We spent the evening at Germaine's 'Too Good to Miss' Luau. That's what they call it. It is on a pretty small stretch of coastline on the western side of the island. They start off with a few basic intro's, the hostess, the host, the band. They have a of the dancers go around for pictures with the audience while everyone loosens up with drinks. They start off by taking you around the backside of the bar and having a couple of guys show you how they unearth a smoked pig. It was very cool. They smoke it in a pit with hot rocks (3-4 lbs apiece) and cover it palm leaves and then canvas. They have it in chicken wire and they pull up the chicken wire and shake all the meat off the bone. Very cool. A guy posed with the head.




Then on to the meal. It was average at best, though the fried Mahi Mahi was pretty tasty. Everything else was ok, but nothing special. The show was really the treat. G won a door prize, a very nice flower lai, a visor, and a water bottle, not much but still ... They have several hula dancers, male and female, that do traditional dancing from New Zealand, Tahita, Samoa, and Hawai'i.

They did a couple of audience participation numbers, H and G jumped right up. For one, they had just the girls to start and then after they called for the guys. Well, they bugged me to go up and I relented. It backfired on them. I was part of a 'Hone Hone' line, meaning I got to kiss all the ladies as they came off the stage, about 50. The other number ended with this guy who had gotten married yesterday and they had him up trying to imitate one of the more, shall I say ... vigorous lady dancers. Well he had had a few and it was hilarious to say the least. They got back to the dancing and it was pretty good over all. B was rather grumpy most of the night, but as we were leaving I asked if the show was any good and she popped off "Yeah!!" I think before she thought about what she was saying.



























A funny story to finish this one off. G has been learning to take care of herself after going to the bathroom. You know how the 4-5 year olds are, they get done doing the business and grab the roll and ... 'zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz' and half of a roll ends on the floor. Well, I went in the other day and kind of got a bit grouchy about it and so I told her that she could only use 5 sheets. Well now everytime she goes, she has to count. If L or B helps her, they get an earfull if they use more than the alotted 5 sheets. So the other night I go in to help her out and she counts the 5 sheets, but when she pulls it she gets 6. I thought she was going to cry, mainly because I was standing there. She said 'Sorry daddy, I counted, you watched me.' I bet 5 times. Well Iguess I'm fortunate that she was listening.
A few more pictures ... we eat hot malasados, we saw a submarine, and we went to the Dole Pineapple Factory.




1 comment:

BriarRose said...

Love the Blog! I'll tell you guys if I ever get one up and running. A