Friday, June 25, 2010

FINALLY!!!

Hello again. Not so long between posts this time.
Well, just after my last post, H and I took a trip with the Senior class of the Residency and went to Kauai. We had a GREAT time. Kauai, better known here as 'The Garden Isle' is extremely diverse and has lots to see. H and I found that the best view came from an Ultralight.
H and her pilot taking off.
This little job was absolutely awesome and I highly recommend it to anyone, antime ... for anywhere (Birds of Paradise, Kauai, HI). I told L when I got back down that we'll be buying one of these babies before too long. The flight was very stable and actually pretty comfortable. The motor is a 4-banger that has enough umph to get you going about 70mph and then your off.

We took off and headed for Waimea (wih-may-uh) canyon and then flew straight to the Na Palli coast line. It was about 0620 and as we came out over the water just as the sun was coming up over the coastal range ...
Na Pali Coast. ~1700ft cliffs nearly straight out of the ocean.

H's pilot waited until she got relaxed and started enjoying herself and then he started hot-dogging a little. He was doing dives and banks, climbs and then cruising right down over the water ... she had a blast.
H over one of the hidden beaches on the Na Pali Coast.
Another view ... better scope of how big it all is.

We spent about 40 minutes over the canyon and the coast and then turned to head back. As we were coming toward the airport on the south side of the island, we moved out over open ocean and as I looked to my right, I caught site of a Hawaiian trademark ...
Rainbow in the rain over open ocean.

Back on the ground, H was nothing but smiles ... until the pilot went to take our picture and asked us to put our backs together. H says that he told us to give our best 'James Bond' look ... I sort of missed that message.
Later that day, we did a hike up in the Canyon that finished on the Coast. Some of the views were absolutely breathtaking. They call this the Grand Canyon of the Pacific. Rumor has it that Mark Twain named it thus when he made his trek here in the late 1800's. (only problem ... Mark Twain never came to Kauai). Anyway, see for yourself ...
The view from the cliffs above the Na Pali coast was absolutely stunning. It couldn't have been a more perfect day. After a 3 mile hike, this is your reward ...
Sometimes, words just don't do it justice.

A large group of the residency ohana (family) went and H made some really good friends. We went to the Waimea Beer Garden for dinner after the hike. It was great. We had a really nice room reserved for the group so we could get a little loud and not worry. A perfect way to end the day.
That week we also had a nite out on the military base there at Barking Sands Military Reservation. The restaurant was ok and after we did Karaoke. H was on it and had all the guts as she got up and did one 'a capella' ...
She was a big hit.

We arrived home safely and this past week my big day finally arrived. I made Major. We had a small ceremony at the clinic with most of my closest co-workers there. We get to choose who 'Pins' us and so I chose my Residency Director and, of course, L. She's been there for every one except 1 (in the Ohio Guard) and I wouldn't have had it any other way.
My Commander got to say a few nice things about me and then I got the plaque that makes it all official.
L was a little upset about being upstaged.

It's always good to have good things happen, but nothing would be worth much if you didn't have your family with you (B was there in spirit). Everyone got to 'Lei' me ... it got a little hard to breath.
At least everyone smiled at the end.

Here's wishing you all well.
Until next time.
Aloha!





1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love reading your page. I thank you for keeping us all informed on our family. I hope to see you all soon. Hallie and Meghan still talk about the girls. Love You All
Jeanie