Sunday, March 8, 2009

The craziest lost key story ... EVER!!!

Hello again (sorry, a bit of a long story, but worth it in my opinion)...

So yesterday, Saturday, I was preparing to take H to the Stables for her lessons and volunteering. We spend the morning together; have breakfast, clean up so momma doesn't have so much to do, prepare H's lunch, and get her backpack ready so she has all the essentials ... you know, extra socks, pants, shirt, shoes (and supposedly her raincoat, though that didn't happen yesterday). Anyway ...

I went outside to get an extra cooler as I often take the hike to go see the whales, and I wanted some cold water afterward. We keep the cooler in some locked closets in the carport and I keep my key on my regular keyring (i.e. I knew I had them at that point 'cause I needed the key to unlock the closet). I come back in and proceed to help H fix her lunch. We make her sandwich and put her apple and water and soda in her cooler. I pull the ice bin out and fill the cooler with ice so it's nice and cold for her, filling my cooler as well, and then we get ready to go. Now I can't find my keys. You must understand (and any of you that know me will) that this is pretty typical for me. We look for about 5 min, I get totally pissed at myself, and then realize we are gonna be late for her lesson, so we take L's car and I decide to look when I get back.

When I get back we turn the house absolutely upside down. I check everywhere. L follows behind me checking again 'cause I usually don't look so good. I look in places I haven't been in 2 or 3 months, just because. I look in the toolbox (I didn't go near the toolbox that morning but it was in the closet, so hey ...), I look in the trash in case they fell in (I had actually resolved to empty the trash on the carport to get a better look if I hadn't found them by Sunday night), I look in the ice bin in the fridge 'cause I remember filling the coolers (L actually pulled it half-way out to get a better look). Finally, we give up. We resolve that they are permanently gone (even L who can find a needle in a haystack, as long as the haystack is in our living room, gives up) and we decide to bite the bullet and order a new set. 

We make the call and go the the VW dealer and in the end it will cost around $350 for a full set w/ remotes and a spare plain key, plus having the car towed because they have to 'program' the keys at the dealership and if you try and start the car w/o a programmed key, it will lock up and cost several hundred $ more to get it unlocked. (At this point we are kicking ourselves because I only got 1 set when I bought the car and we had been meaning to get the other set for a while, but just got too busy/lazy to get it done.) And finally, I was prepared to bite it again because I have my work keys on the ring, and that would run me at least a couple hundred $ plus a possible permanent counseling in my file for failing to secure sensitive items. 

I looked again, periodically, throughout the day and even dream of lost keys that night. No luck! Enter Sunday ... 

L and I go coupon shopping at the commissary for misc. items and after getting home, we begin putting things away. I get to do the freezer and it's pretty full, so I squat to re-arrange some items and this is what I see ...
Now take a closer look ...
Yup, you guessed it ... my keys. 

Here is the scoop. When I came in from getting the cooler, I put the keys on the counter. I then proceeded to pull the ice tray out of the freezer and set it on the counter to fill the cooler. The fridge has the ice/water in the door thing, so the ice tray has this rotating shaft that is crooked on the end. As I set the tray on the counter the shaft hooks my keys. As I pick it up, the ice shifting in the tray covers up the noise of the keys clanking. I put it back in the freezer, and the shaft goes into the little gear box that turns it, pushing the keys further onto the shaft and effectively locking them in place there. As L and I looked in the ice bin on Saturday, the keys were solidly hooked onto the shaft so they don't fall. The ice shifting, again, covered the noise of the clanking keys. 

This, in my humble opinion, is truly 1-in-a-million!!

Happy days!

No comments: